Looking for pet daycare facilities can be difficult as there are usually many to choose from and they can sound similar. However not all pet daycare facilities are made equal. Here, our Baton Rouge vets talk about what to look for in doggy daycare facilities and provide some questions that you may want to ask.
8 Things To Look For in Doggy Daycare in Baton Rouge
When considering doggy daycare for your beloved pet, you should look for the following:
- Be clean both inside and outside be odor-free offer spacious, bright, and well-air-conditioned rooms offer intact furniture
- Not have uncomfortably loud noise levels
- Be open about how the animals are managed and handled be capable of performing essential tasks (e.g. giving medication)
- Be commercially registered, have liability insurance, and be inspected by the veterinary office (depending on regional/national laws)
- There is enough staff to accommodate the number of animals staying there
- Staff have appropriate expertise; there isn't a constant turnover of staff, and staff answer all of your questions openly
- They request that you provide all necessary documentation (proof of vaccination, animal liability insurance, etc.)
- They inquire about any special needs your dog may have (food, care, rituals)
Doggy Daycare Facilities and Amenities
While the above list demonstrates what all doggy daycare facilities should be like, there are some things that doggy daycare facilities should offer that are specific to dogs.
How Dogs Should be Kept
- The dogs are not kept alone; they interact with humans
- There are comfortable baskets available
- There is a secure exercise area available (protected by fences)
- Female dogs in heat are not permitted
- You are expected to have your dog fully vaccinated, dewormed, and flea-treated before their arrival
- There is always fresh water available for the dogs everywhere (indoors and outdoors)
How Dogs Should be Handled
- The staff treats the dogs with love and care
- Dogs are walked twice a day (with additional free running in the outdoor area)
- There is no use for punishment
- Dogs are not permitted to walk off-leash
- Dogs are only placed in compatible groups
Questions to Ask Doggy Daycare Facilities
The first step in the process of choosing a doggy daycare is asking the right questions and determining what is most important for your pet. This information can help you decide on the best doggy daycare option. Begin by conducting an online search for pet daycare facilities in Baton Rouge and reading online reviews. Once you've narrowed down your options, you'll want to contact the facility to ask questions. Prepare a list of questions, both general and specific to your pet's needs, before you call.
Some questions can include:
- What pet care background, certifications, education, and expertise does the facility or individual have?
- What is the ratio of the dog or cat per staff?
- What is their screening process for identifying pets with behavioral issues?
- How many animals do they put in a playgroup?
- How much playtime and exercise will they get?
- How are animals grouped together? (by size, age, temperament, etc.)
- How often are the facilities cleaned?
It can also be beneficial to take a tour of a potential doggy daycare facility. Make careful observations during your visit to determine if this is the right dog daycare service for your pet.
Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.